What happens when a global pandemic trumps a global environmental crisis? A dirty big Ram sneaks onto centre stage and steals the show.
This is the all-new 2021 Ram 1500 TRX and it’s the biggest, fastest, thirstiest, coolest, most capable 4X4 ute your Benjamin Franklins can now buy…in the world.
Except it’s only available in North America, for the moment.
The heart of the TRX is the 6.2-litre supercharged HEMI V8 Hellcat engine. Rated at 702 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque, which is so many kilowatts and torques, I lost count, but it’s absolutely enough to propel the TRX down the quarter-mile in 12.9 seconds and that’s faster than an 80s Countach.
But that’s just the start of what makes the TRX a bit more special than most. This genuine F150 Raptor challenger is brimming over with mouth-watering engineering and premium features, such as the handful below:
- High-torque-capacity TorqueFlite 8HP95 eight-speed automatic transmission delivers quick, crisp gear changes during both normal and performance driving conditions.
- New frame extensively uses high-strength steel that increases low-torsion attributes to amplify durability and stability.
- New, dual-path air induction system delivers maximum output and feeds a steady supply of cool, clean air to the engine through the front grille and functional hood scoop.
- The largest air filter in the segment uses dual filter elements and is designed for extreme, dusty environments with four times the dust trapping capacity when compared to the closest competitor.
- Full-time active transfer case features upgraded internals for improved strength, durability.
- The all-new, active damping suspension system, inspired by desert off-road racers, incorporates forged aluminium front upper and lower control arms with special attention to caster and camber angles during suspension cycling.New independent front suspension system with active damping uses high-strength aluminium to maintain overall strength and durability.
- 2.5-inch Bilstein Black Hawk e2 adaptive performance shocks provide fast reaction time, unbeatable damping and improved heat dissipation for traversing harsh terrain at speeds greater than 160 km/h.
- A 50mm ride height increase over Ram 1500, enabling 300mm of ground clearance and up to 812mm of water fording ability.
- Five-link coil suspension is tuned to deliver the best combination of ride, handling and comfort no matter the road surface.
- Wheel travel is greater than 13 inches at all four corners, an increase of more than 40 per cent compared to the rest of the Ram 1500 lineup.
- A Dana 60 solid rear axle with a 3.55 ratio featuring full-floating hubs and axle-hop damper for improved traction and axle control on rough surfaces. An electronic locking rear differential is standard for increased performance off-road.
- The all-new face of Ram includes modern Ram’s head logo and “R-A-M” badge with flow-through lettering.
- New integrated composite fender flares add 8 inches of body width and feature all-new steel box outers.
- New LED clearance lamps are integrated into the hood scoop and front bumper flares.
- Full-LED Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) includes twin bi-functional projector headlamps, fog lamps and taillamps with up to 15 degrees of direction control with steering input.
- Three interior options, including premium cloth and vinyl, a premium wrapped leather and suede, or premium wrapped leather and suede with available red and carbon fibre accents.
- Ram TRX-specific transfer case switches are integrated into the dashboard along with Drive Mode selector and Launch Control.
- All-new Head-up Display unit makes its FCA vehicle debut and can show up to five different content areas at once.
- Baja drive mode calibrates four-wheel-drive and steering systems, stability control, paddle shifters and suspension for ultimate desert performance, delivering maximum capability on undulating, loose surfaces.
- Available digital rearview mirror replaces the traditional rearview mirror with a 9.2-inch-wide LCD monitor
- All-new 18-by-9-inch aluminium wheels are available in both standard and a Beadlock-capable option.
- Goodyear Wrangler Territory 325/65/R18 All-Terrain 35-inch tyres.
- The largest front brakes in the segment.
You want one don’t you? So do the Yanks, who snapped up the 702 unit, USD90,000+ launch edition, in just three hours!
Yes, it’s coming to Australia, but you’re going to need the big bucks to buy one. Circa $200,000 is the word on the street.